The purpose of this program is to establish the factors that are contributing to chronic pain incorporating both the medical bio-psycho-social model and naturopathic care. Strategies are established with each client to reduce the individual biochemical drivers of pain and further reduce the impact of co-morbid conditions such as insomnia. Improved overall health, well-being and self-care and improved self-management of pain are additional outcomes you can expect. Positive benefits of this program may result in reduced reliance on unnecessary or as-needed medication.
A suggested 3-month program helps to put into place strategies that will bring about lasting improvement. Experience working with clients over 10 years has taught me that ‘overnight’ results are often short-lived, particularly if the contributing factors are not addressed.
At the end of the Healing Pain Program you will:
- Understand the body’s pain system and how it is influencing pain.
- Learn strategies to help ‘turn down’ the amplified pain system within the body
- Be able to feel and track improvement over a 3-6 month period
- Experience improved well-being and overall health
- Understand the nature of pain and its impact on your health
- Experience improved mood and improved quality of sleep
- Know what foods support your health, and those that don’t
- Have an individual at-home care program that suits your ability
- Have mindfulness and self-care strategies in place to more effectively self-manage pain severity
The Pain Management Program involves working together for at least 3 months, which entails 4 visits over this period. The structure of the program is outlined below:
Initial Appointment – 75 minutes
This appointment is the longest as involves taking a detailed case history, reviewing past treatments and the use of questionnaires and physical examination to ascertain baseline mood, sleep, pain and quality of life. This appointment determines how we move forward and so requires detailed evaluation. Preliminary treatment recommendations will be made at this stage and in some cases referrals for further testing may be recommended.
Supplements can and do assist with treatment progress and as such may be recommended but inclusion depends on client preference.
Optional – PainWISE pain education course – 4 sessions over 8 weeks run through Vibe Natural Health. I facilitate this course in small groups.
Over 4 sessions PainWISE covers the following topics:
- The neuroscience of pain, explaining how the pain system works in the body including the factors that amp it up and those that calm it down.
- The importance of an integrated healthcare team and how help to put together the best team to support you
- The role of sleep and medications in pain
- How lifestyle and nutrition increase pain severity based on the foods chosen and their role in creating inflammation
- The role of physical activity in pain and how safe movement and mindset can reduce pain severity
- How our thoughts can influence pain
Second Appointment – 60 minutes
The second appointment is scheduled 2 weeks after the initial appointment and at this stage goals are set, a comprehensive treatment plan is established and treatment planning for the next 5 visits is determined. Following this appointment check in by phone or email may be recommended to provide support or monitor progress. Additionally at this stage, the treatment plan may be shared with the client’s other health care professionals, as per client preference.
Third and Forth Appointments
Appointments from here are approximately monthly for 30 minutes. At each appointment progress and goals are reviewed, any adjustments are made as necessary and information about the nature of pain, barriers and facilitators to change, self-care, graded exercise, mindfulness, dietary changes are covered. Phone or email check in may be necessary between visits.
A program review and ongoing care for effective pain management and overall well-being is established as needed. Additional appointments can be made at this stage as per client discretion.
Appointment fees are charged at each appointment. The PainWISE course is charged as a 4 session block. Health fund rebates for nutrition are available with some private health funds. Supplements and additional testing costs are clearly outlined as required and agreed upon with the client.
Individual treatment results will depend on the presenting complaint and overall level of health. Most clients see significant improvement over the 3-month program, while others will take longer. The general rule of thumb is the longer you have had a complaint, the longer it will require treatment. Importantly we are not just trying to relieve symptoms, although that is important, the aim is to improve your overall health and make lasting changes. An assessment about progress and expected results will be discussed at the initial appointment and progressively throughout the 3 months, so clients feel able to make informed decisions about their treatment.
Call me on 07 3162 2211 at Vibe Natural Health to book an initial appointment or book online.
To hear me talk about chronic pain in this podcast with FxMedicine host Andrew Whitfield-Cook click on the image below: